Thursday, April 4, 2013

Living Room Makeover...On a Budget!

My sister asked me a little while ago if I would help her fix up her living room a bit.  She just wanted to lighten it up and get a little more modern look in there.  We were on a tight budget, but that doesn't mean you still can't make a big impact!  I think there is a big misconception that you need to spend lots of money to makeover a room in your house.  Oh boy, you do not!  Pinterest is a wonderful resource for inspiration and you can find tons of cheap, easy DIY projects that will add character to your home. 


Here are the before pictures:
***For some reason I couldn't make all the pictures big.  Just click on them and it will enlarge them***








And here are the after:



I was able to do everything for under $200...however, she did get the rug and pillows for her birthday.  The rug is from Overstock (by far the best rug prices out there) and the pillows are from Home Goods.  The curtain panels soften up the room and were only $30 for the pair from Target

 She already had a super cute paint color on her walls, which is brought out even more now with the lighter colored accessories. 


Mirror from TJ


Small mirrors from Target...


I originally was going to buy Ikea Ribba frames to put above her TV, but I found these darling minty green ones at TJ, which turned out perfect in this space!  My sister just took the pictures of her kids and they turned out darling!


Vase on clearance at Gordman's


Her coffee table had its fair share of scratches and had seen better days!  So we decided to spray it this yellow color to pop against all the more mild colors that are in the room




We got rid of her plate rack and put a fun Chalkboard plaque and cute print on the walls in her kitchen




She needed something fun for her table also, and I found this darling tray at Home Goods.  She already had the orchid.




You can't go wrong with fun little rugs to brighten up the space...this one is from Target


Her room is so much brigher and more inviting now!  All of this was done on a bugdet...it is possible to make small changes for small amounts of money, and together they will add up to a big change for your room!  Happy Decorating!!


4 comments:

Kevin Kim Cade Ellie said...

Okay you have inspired me to talk Kevin into changing our house after 6 years. I will need your help!! Great job it looks beautiful!

Shannon said...

We love it so much! I can't believe how boring the room was before. Thanks again Lis!

The Hyde Life said...

Seriously so cute!!! LOVe the colors, the coffee table, the frames above the tv! Can't wait for you to decorate my house!!!

Unknown said...

do you know what color the paint color is? I have dark leather furniture and this is perfect

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Melissa Rey Styles | Theme by BloggerThemes & frostpress | Built by NTWD